Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Finally! Time to Vote!

The amount of political papers and political trash I have just tossed into the recycle bin is enormous. Finally, today, we all get to vote. We'll have an outcome, and all the mail I never asked for and ads that I don't wish to see will come to an end. Yeah!

I managed to get me and the kids out the door by 10:00. No small feat since I am sick, went to bed at 9:00 last night, and didn't feel like getting up this morning. The kids wanted a lazy morning, so getting them dressed was a hassle. Thanks to the promise of snacks, and the actuality of Skittles at the voting precinct, all went well. My assumption about voting here (from friends, news, and other media) is that the lines have been long. We've been able to vote early for weeks now, which is not sometime I remember being an option in California. I guess it was suppose to cut down on long lines. The closest early-voting precinct was 10 miles away, so I didn't make it there. I was all set to brave the lines today. The news was reporting waits of up to an hour in Denver, so I even charged up the portable DVD player for the kids. And snacks. And even put Brandon's school backpack in the car just in case...... And...........there was no line. At least no line of any note. I did figure out why the lines can be so long here, though. Everything is manual! Manual in a way that is slower than the manual California process, back in the day. You have to color in your square of choice with a black pen, making sure it's completely filled in. Kind of like a scantron, but the square is bigger. It was the smallest amount of line items, and took the longest time to fill out! I was a little stressed about the kids running around and bugging other voters, but they were good.

So, now I'm home again. Brandon's at school and Caitlin is watching an Elmo DVD (one she discovered in my bag, and wondered why I had it with me). It's almost nap time for her, and I may join her. I have MOPS work to do today, but it might have to wait until the next round of cold medicine. I don't think I have the capacity to deal with it right now!

No comments: