Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Lazy Day is Coming!

Sometimes I think I'm not busy enough, and that I really need to get out there and try to do more. After all, I use to hold down a job and have an active social life. So much of that has changed over the years. It took a long time to get use to my new life as the mom of a baby. Then, when I got use to that, I started attending a few mom's groups. Then I actually started to make friends (not just acquaintances). Then came playdates, meetings, a regular schedule. Woo hoo! I was on a roll!

Then I moved. And it all changed.

We made a few friends last year, but most of them moved over the summer.

In an effort to reach out, I did join a couple of MOPS groups. One at my home church and another near my home. I wasn't sure it was working. I'm making a lot of acquaintances again, so I guess something's happening. We recently became involved in a small group on Sunday evenings, which has helped build community. I have called on those friends quite a bit in the last few months to help out, especially since Brian is gone so often.

Tonight, though? Tonight I'm excited that for the first time in days, nothing is expected of me in the morning! In all my reaching out, I have committed myself to 2 hugely busy weeks each month. My MOPS groups meet on Tuesday and Thursday, and I have my Bible Study every Wednesday. I have been busy every day this week, for a variety of reasons. I've stayed up late and woken up early. Kindergarten and doctor's appointments, lunches and errands. Even though it wasn't full of things I hated, being busy and single mom'ing it this week have made for a very tired girl!

But not this evening! It's my own evening. No work to do. No food to prepare. No questions to be answered. In short, nothing. I need to make sure my kiddos are taken care of, but that's it! I can read, watch TV, stare at the ceiling... whatever! And, I have nothing to do tomorrow except take Brandon to kindergarten and go to the store for a few groceries.

My sister's wedding is a week from this Saturday. We fly out to California next Thursday. Then comes Thanksgiving. It is looking to be the start of a very busy holiday season. I'll take a lazy day, thank you. I knew I'd like it. What's surprising to me is how much I'm liking it!

No comments: