Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Fire!

We had an interesting lunchtime this afternoon. Today was playgroup day. So, being the good mom that I am, I bundled my babies up in the 40 degree weather to go an play outside. I figured that if kids in Minnesota could handle it, so could we. I don't think Caitlin liked the cold. She cried a lot, and was mad that she couldn't eat the tanbark because of her mittens. Oh well.

As I pulled into our garage upon returning home, I smelled something funny. I though the car was overheating, or something weird like that. As I got out, I realized that it smelled more like a campfire than a hot engine (yes, I do know both smells). As it turns out, a condo one street up had caught fire. The sirens and howling dogs were getting louder and louder. Brandon was very excited about hearing all the fire engines, but very concerned that they were getting closer. I asked Brandon if he wanted to go see the fire (I could see the column of smoke just past our house). He said yes, timidly. So, again, being the good mom that I am, I scooped him up, and locked the garage door (Caitlin was fast asleep in her car seat. See - I'm such a good mom - I didn't wake her up!).

We walked over to see all the commotion. Brandon, of course, was scared witless. I know my child's boundaries, so I kept walking. He always asks about fire trucks, hoses, and fire hydrants. This was the perfect teaching opportunity. There were several fire trucks, several hazmat trucks, and fireman putting their gear on and rushing to the scene. Brandon got to see the big hose hooked up to the fire hydrant. Now maybe he'll believe me when I tell him that fireman can get water out of them! We saw smoke, but not really any fire. I can't find anything on the fire, so it must not have been all that big. Brandon did calm down after our neighbors showed up. He explained it all to 4 year old Kyle, who didn't like the sirens.

The aftermath of all this? Brandon knows where all the smoke alarms are in the house. I've put the fire extinguisher right outside of his bedroom door. He wanted it there. Guess it makes him feel safe. We had a long talk about how we should always be careful with matches and fire. We also talked about sirens, and how the firetrucks only turn on their sirens when they need to get somewhere fast. Drivers need to pull over when they hear sirens nearby (Brandon's very concerned about the rules of the road when I'm driving. I hope he's not some bad backseat driver when he's older!).

Brandon reminded me at bedtime not to have a fire anywhere else in the house except in the fireplace. Good idea!


The fire truck and firemen



the road in general



Now he'll believe me that firemen can get water out of a fire hydrant!



The smoke (at the very end. You can see it if you squint)


2 comments:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Oh man! That IS a perfect learning opportunity! Now he'll probably point out all the fire hydrants you see, too. I love stuff like that.

(Oh--and I would have left her sleeping in the car, too!)

threeforme said...

Padyn was really hesitant yet curious when we had that fire down the street a few months ago. It's interesting to watch them process it all and make sense of everything.

Well, and whose child slept in the car the ENTIRE time at playgroup?