Saturday, November 04, 2006

Pontiac

We just sold my old purple Pontiac Grand Am. I should have prefaced this with the fact that we just bought a new car last week (I'll tell you about that later). I'm kind of sad to see my old car go, but we didn't need three cars.

My Pontiac was the first new car I bought. I worked hard for a couple of years out of college, and saved enough for a good down payment. I felt like a princess in that car. Mostly because everything worked. Always a plus. The car I had before that one had seen much better days before it came into my possession. I have a great love of air conditioning in the summer (because I'd never had it before), and a heater in the winter (because my thermostat kept freezing open and thus rendered the heater useless). I do not miss the days of keeping a hat, blanket, gloves and legwarmers in my car because I worked nights, was required by the company to wear skirts, and couldn't afford a car with a heater. I do not miss pulling over at 10 o'clock at night, in the rain, to tie my windshield wipers on with baggie ties because they would otherwise fly off, and I needed to see out my window during this particularly bad rainstorm. I do not miss adding coolant to the overflow tank so that the heater would produce a modicum of heat. Buying my Pontiac solved all that. I'm glad I drove it the other night, since I didn't know it would be the last time.

We didn't think that we would sell the car less than 3 hours after posting it on Craigslist. Gotta love Craigslist. Who knew someone would want to buy a car at night? In the dark? Especially a dark purple one? We were so unprepared. The house was a complete disaster, especially the table. So much for pride, huh? I had just started to go through my Pontiac file when the new buyers came in the house to sign the paperwork. I was about to start making dinner, and had just put a video on to keep the kids occupied while I was at the stove. Needless to say, dinner never got made. Good thing we had the foresight to get the title out before Brian went on the test drive.

Goodbye old friend. You were and still are a good car. Yes, you've gotten older and don't look so new, but hasn't that happened to us all? I hope you live a long and happy life with your new family, and give them as few problems as you've given me.

1 comment:

threeforme said...

I was wondering about your new car I saw you getting into the other day. I'll have to remember to ask you about why you bought a new one.

Sorry your old friend is gone.