Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Whistling Man

Today at lunch Brandon asked me about the Whistling Man.
What....? What Whistling Man?

You know, he said, The Whistling Man. He rolls.

What....? (still have no idea what he means)

The Whistling Man, Mom (add an impatient sigh here to get the full effect). In the song you sing.

Oh, you mean This Old Man? As in:
This old man, he played one
He played knick-knack on my thumb
With a knick-knack paddywhack, give a dog a bone
This old man came rolling home

Oh, Yes, This Old Man. Why did he roll? Why didn't he just walk?

What I really want to know is who makes up all these songs that make no sense? Earlier we were singing "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt". That also makes no sense (and who would give their kid a name like "Jingleheimer", anyway?). Brandon still wants to know who we are locking up when we sing "London Bridge". I give up!

By the way, I still think that the old man rolled home because he was drunk. But I think I'll wait a few more years before explaining that one to Brandon.

No comments: