Saturday, September 23, 2006

Chunky Girl

I've long suspected that Caitlin was close to 20 pounds (since my arms ache whenever I hold her!). I took her to Maternal Connections today (a mother's support center attached to the maternity center at El Camino Hospital) to weigh her. 19 pounds, 5 ounces. I think she's 29 inches long, but she's so wiggly that it was hard to tell. Looking back at Brandon's weight, he had just reached 19 pounds at 10 months. Of course, he was in the 5th percentile for a while, so I guess it's nothing to brag about. Brandon didn't fit into size 12 months until he was 14 months, and Caitlin fits into some now. Maybe it won't be so hard to find clothes for her when she's 3.

After weighing her, I continued on my task of returning pants to various stores. Caitlin chewed on my car keys in each store. I took them away from her at Mervyns. You would have thought that I just slammed her fingers in the door, she cried so hard. Tears and all. It made me laugh a little, which didn't really help her any. She just cried harder. I found a set of keys that Brandon use to play with and gave them to her. She wasn't as thrilled, but stopped crying none-the-less. The other day she got hold of my watch and started gnawing on it. A few minutes later she turned around, and she had black smudges all around her mouth, on her hands, and anywhere else she had touched. It was so gross. I had no idea that my watch was so filthy! I'm a little disturbed at that fact, and have been wearing a different watch.

Caitlin and Brandon took a bath tonight. Brandon really likes taking a bath with Caitlin. I think he likes the company. Caitlin is much tougher that he was or is (although he is getting better). She kept going for the mesh bag that all the bath toys are kept in, and went swimming in the water. Brian and I were laughing at the fact that had it been Brandon, he wouldn't have taken another bath for about 3 months (the sort of semi-painful laugh that you have when you are remembering horrible, awful periods of your past life that you can now use as fodder in a comedy routine). We hated Brandon's bath rejection period. He drove us nuts for a few weeks when he would cry any time he got near the bathtub. We're not exactly sure what happened, but we think it has something to do with his head going under the water. The bath rejection happened a few times, and each time we were stumped as to why. This is the same boy who still cries when we wash his hair, and insists on wearing a little hat during hair washing time. So far, it looks like our little girl is tougher when it comes to things like that. I really hope so, since Brandon's fears have driven us to drinking. We can't drink much more (really, we can't. It's not healthy).

By the way, my mom posted some some cute pictures of Brandon's birthday here.I didn't take any (too busy fluttering around), so I need to get some from friends and family! One picture of Caitlin really reminds me of me when I was a baby. I don't know why, but it does!

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Welcome to the blog world! Your family is too precious! I have a 3-yr old and 1-yr old, and my younger daughter is way tougher than her big sister. I keep thinking it must be a second-born syndrome of sorts, but I can't figure out why.

I'll check back to read more about your cutie-pies!