Monday, September 04, 2006

Picking out an Ornament

Today Brandon participated in the ages old tradition on his paternal side - picking out his annual Christmas ornament. Since time began (or since Brian and his sister were born), they have picked out an ornament for their Christmas tree each year (which explains our expansive Loony Toons ornament collection. I have yet to see this at any other house during the holidays). Today, Donna and Jackie picked up Brandon at 10:00 am to take him out to a Hallmark store in Saratoga that has a good selection (yes, there are Christmas ornaments out already in some places). After which they had lunch at "Old" McDonald's (yet another Brandonism). Brandon had a blast. He enjoys spending time with his Nana and Aunt Jackie. Meanwhile, Mom and Dad pretended that they only had one child, and after Caitlin woke up we went out to lunch at Chili's. It is so much easier with only one kid at a restaurant, especially when she isn't eating table food yet. Back to ornaments - Brandon picked out a battery operated ornament with a train on it that goes around and stops at several stops. It even lights up. He did a good job. We are going to put it away until Christmas time, so it will be new all over again in a few months.

On another note, Caitlin seems to have developed a case of "mommy-itis" - meaning she is not happy when mommy leaves. Unfortunately for her, she was born to a mommy that desperately needs time to herself every now and then. When you consider that I can't go to the bathroom, take a shower, eat a meal, get dressed, go outside, drive a car, etc, etc., by myself, grocery shopping becomes stolen moments when I can just be alone with my thoughts (0r turn up the music loud in the car) . I do a lot of grocery shopping on the weekends, which I hate, but right now it's easier than trying to do it during the week with two children. Today, while I was gone, Caitlin decided to take up crying for a couple hours for Brian. He was thrilled, I tell you, just thrilled. At one point she started to crawl away. Curious to see what she would do, Brian just let her go. She ended crawling down the hall, sobbing the whole time. Miraculously, she was cured of her ailment when I returned. Poor Brian. I hope she gets over this soon, or he won't want to let me out of the house!

No comments: